Persona History Of Ormr

If I close my eyes I can still see myself as I was.  Tall, with a strength born from standing long days kneading doughs.  I still kept up with my sword and bow, a habit from troubled times and one that has served me well since.  My hair was the colour of sand and my eyes both brown and green at once.  My hands were strong bearing a speed I came by naturally but for which I thank Thor daily.  I kept my hair short, a strangeness noted by some but a preference for baking and eventually for beneath my helm.  This is what she saw when she came to my stall.  Every day.  For a fortnight. 

At first I thought she had a sweet tooth but I soon realized though her attendance was high, her purchases were low.  The way she looked at me, focused on me not my wares, was another indication her interest lay not with my offerings by with myself.  I could not help but warm to her attentions, what man dislikes the attention of a beautiful woman?  I realized I looked forward to seeing her and I would pause in my work to watch her come along the market aisle.  She carried herself with pride and purpose as she made her way toward me.  Her hair was unbound, a symbol of her availability, and fell in brown waves framing her face.  Her skin was winter-pale and often flushed with the chill air but it was her eyes that caught me.  They were the colour of the sea; gray, green and blue any and all at once and always smiling.  She talked with her hands and often started one tale and digressed into another, stopping abruptly when she realized her folly and then laughing at herself.  If it was her eyes that caught me it was her easy manner that had me kept.  Often I would see her with her father and we were introduced soon after she began making regular appearances. 

I knew she would be leaving soon, I knew before she did.  The pattern for merchants is predictable and her father had been in town for a fortnight and winter was coming.  When I thought about her leaving I realised I would miss her quick wit and laughter.  I took it upon myself to visit her father to make an offer of marriage.  He seemed most relieved and referred often to grandchildren throughout the contract process.  I must admit the thought of children warmed me and my thoughts turned to evenings filled with laughter and days with good hard work with my family.  We decided to keep the contract a secret from her, a ruse approved and anticipated by us both.  The day she came to tell me she was leaving I tried keeping my features neutral waiting for her father to spring the ploy but could not help smiling.  After her eyes stopped throwing daggers and she realized we were to become man and wife she forgave us both.  

With winter near upon us I took down the market stall and began selling directly from the bakery, farther from the thick of things but better to keep my new wife warm and dry.  She occupied herself helping in the bakery though she had little talent or interest.  Her heart was for the arts and there I encouraged her as much as her father.  As to the matter of his grandchildren we set ourselves to the task with vigour.  Daily life was a pleasing routine and soon the gods blessed us with two strong boys who flourished in our small market town though as they grew so did the sounds of unrest.  I continued in my sword and bow drills sensing they may be needed sooner rather than later.

The warning bells woke me before dawn sending our small town into chaos.  Melora took the children to her father the previous week knowing the fighting would soon be upon us.  I sent a prayer to Frigga to look after them and then one to Thor to aid in the coming skirmish.  Quickly I donned my armour and sword and snatched up my bow and quiver.  I climbed onto the roof of the bakery to gain sight of the conflict and saw brigands, mismatched and hungry, moving through the streets.  Drawing and shooting into the streets I took several down before moving down and drawing steel against the attackers.  Many other townspeople were on the streets protecting their homes and families as well as travelers hearing of the unrest.  It was on the streets I came upon a man fighting the marauders with enviable skill.  He was wielding a two-handed mace and moved with grace from one enemy to another dispatching them quickly and efficiently.  I couldn’t watch his deadly dance for long as I had my own partners to contend with.  Already having drawn my sword I moved to the task with single-mindedness, a part of my mind reveling in the movements of my body and calculating the movements of my opponents.  The small battle passed, it seemed, both like an eternity and a flash.  The townspeople had defended theirs with ferocity and drove the raiders from the village.  The man, the knight, I had stopped to watch approached me through the mud-churned streets.  Though he was breathing heavily from the fight and covered in blood and mud there was humour in his eyes and an easy laugh ready at his lips.  I complimented him on his fighting and he just shrugged stating it was his duty then laughed and said how much he enjoyed a good fight.  He then stated he was watching me too and admired my efficiency and speed.  Like a snake, he said.  I offered him the comforts of my humble home for the rest of his stay, for he said he must be moving on in time.  During his stay we became friends and he asked me to become his man-at-arms, to travel to Connacht and help it grow.  He said his wife would appreciate another female around and especially one with children.  This wasn’t just an offer for a position this was an invitation to become more than I was, to listen to my blood and fight, to help this new chapter in the Adrian Empire grow, to make a full life for myself and my family.